Topic: Ey Up

Well, ahem.

Hi.

I was just going to be a forum-wraith who looks on with much amusement and wonderment. However, it has been suggested that I *actually* introduce myself, so here we are.

I'm a Yorkshire Lass who lives in Durham and has much enthusiasm for transportation of the two-wheeled variety. Unfortunately, I haven't a bike... nor can I ride. For two decades I have satisfied my Needs by riding pillion - this is how some of you may have seen me.

Soon, I expect to make the transition from passenger to rider and owner, and I hope that you - oh Sages of the VMCC - will help me along the way.    smile

Yours with elongated vowels and glottal stops,

Yorkshire Lass (a.k.a. Rachael)

Yorkshire Lass, born an bred. Strong in t'arm an thick in t'ed.

Re: Ey Up

Sages? theres a few old thyme-rs!
No - hello, welcome on board - good luck with the front seat!

Freewheelin' Franklin 'o Durham

Hello and welcome Rachael - from a Yorkshire lad that's spent most of his life in Co Durham and now lives in Devon!  cool
Wier abahts in tykeland does tha cum from?  smile
Ahm frum Shfld misel - anyroads, a little place wot wasn't in Shfld afore t' bowndries moved like.  big_smile
Martyn

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Thank you for your posts of welcome Franklin and Martyn.

In answer to your question, Martyn:
Ahs from Leeds. Grew oop near centre an went tut skuwil int rhubarb triangle. Came tut Durham an ad to start speekin proper cos they dint understan me. Daft 'apeths.

Ah. Rhubarb Triangle, 'av erd on it burrav onli ever gon throo it ont' M1 north.  smile
I did some exams in Leeds in the late 60s - but I didn't pass them all because I'd been at the City Varieties too long!
The Headway in Leeds has one or two traffic lights I think. It used to be known as the "Grand Prix starting street" in our circles.

I think it's more than time that you shelled out some hard earned spondoolix and got yourself a good old fashioned British bike of your own.  wink
Once that's mastered you will be able to partake of some "close formation riding" with the South Durham lads and partake of some good Northumbrian runs like the Breakfast Run, the Colonial and the Bob Rawling's run; not to mention THE GATHERING  wink
You know it makes sense..........
Martyn

PS - Geordie's not tharard to ken, ye knaa, man, like!  big_smile

Ah You heeded my words young lass. Welcome to our little corner of cyber-space.

Andreas

Welcome indeed. Hope to see you out and about the roads P.D.Q - then you too can have the joys of getting totally soaked everytime you visit South Durham section in Darlo!

Try me best - honest! big_smile

Andreas - Well, you know, I was brought up proper, like, an told to mind me elders.

Baggers - Hello! I thought some strange things might occur at the South Durham section meetings, but there's actually someone waiting at the border to drench people as they ride by? Impressive.

Hi Rachel

I meant to ask are you attached to the Physics department at Durham???? Or some other University...

Jon

That I am. I've been resident in the physics department in Durham since 2002.

Thesis is almost in the 'now let's have difficulty printing it out stage'  big_smile

If you want a read I can send you a signed copy for a small fee  wink

Rachael

p.s.  Your avatar is most excellent.

I HAVE BESTOWED YOU WITH AN 'AVATAR'

Feel free to alter / delete if you wish although i thought it fitting with your user name and motto!

Andreas

Just to see it a bit bigger
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljcwklvfLp1qexscuo1_500.jpg

Andreas

That's a Goody one, Andreas.
But I think tha wants thi Is testin' marra - thems not "lasses" thanose!
Martyn

lol

I was expecting a whippet in a wig!

It is possible that I do have a bit of a look of Bill Oddie about me. It might just be the moustache though.

Ey up and away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJxzDYJ4 … re=related

What's an avatar? Where can I buy one and are the spares cheap?

John, if you would like one I can find somthing for you all free you know........

Andreas

Andreas

Rachael

I'm over the road in Geography.
You are invited to tea.....

Jon

Oooh! The proper geography building or the building with the balcony where they sip gin in the sun?

I've never had a geography tea. When/where does it normally take place?

Wait a minute... have I seen you give a talk at the Microscopy Facility opening workshop thing in the Calman, a year (or two) back? I remember someone from geography giving a talk in their biker boots. Red, I think they were...

R

Hi Rachael,
                Red biker boots, seems most un-phantrom like, tell us more please, feel free to make something up if you prefer.

What sort of bike were you thinking of getting youself ?

TTFN JonS.  cool

Dead fish go with the flow.

Yeah JonS, I would agree. 

It's a good thing it most likely isn't Jon- ' Hey, was this you? I can't remember your face or what you talked about, but I remember your boots.'   big_smile

It's strange what sticks in the mind, is it not? I *am* rubbish at remembering names and faces.... but apparently not  important stuff like choice of footwear.

In terms of bikes, I really have no idea. Andreas has recommended something like a Yamaha SR125 to start with (one as old as me would be nice). Potter round on that for a few months and then get on with getting licensed.

Unfortunately this whole process is going to start at the end of October... not good for weather in the NE, but good in terms of picking up a bargain, I'm hoping. We shall see.

Any advice/grapevine news would be greatly appreciated.

R

I think the little Suzuki VanVans look great fun, stylish and unintimidating. The building with the balcony was one of my Planning Approvals when I was in the City - glad its being used for high brow educational purposes as intended!

Hey Up Rachael,
                          Sorry it was definitely not me giving the talk in the red bike boots, I try to have a bit more of a third reich fetish thing going on when public speaking, perhaps why dont get many speaking engagments.

Bike wise Franklin's suggestion of the Suzi Van Van certainly has merits, have you ever seen one certainly that bit different ?

What about a trail bike styled affair does that appeal ?

TTFN JonS.

Dead fish go with the flow.

This Wiki article gives the details:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RV_125_Van_Van

vanvan

Martyn