1 (edited by Joecr 29-09-2016 09:41:20)

Topic: Bike wanted

Those of you that know me will know that I've been missing the last couple of summers due to following Durham cricket up and down the country.

I've decided to give the away games a miss next year and start riding the bikes more, hence I'm now looking for another bike that's a bit more modern traffic friendly than the ones I've got.

I'm after something older than 1986, probably Japanese and bigger than 650cc.

Anything considered, I don't mind something needing a bit work but I'd prefer to be able to roll it into a van on it's wheels rather than carry it in in big lumps.

I'm looking in all the usual places, ebay, classic mags etc, but not everything for sale gets advertised, hence the post.

Feel free to message me through here, leave ya number and I'll get back to you.

Thanks all.

Joe.

Re: Bike wanted

How about a 1978 750 Honda ?  the catch is it is a 2 speed Hondamatic !  my friend has two or three of them and would part with one , or all probably, they need work but i understand at least one is a runner, something different and unusual though and in Durham area

if it`s not broke keep fixing it until it is....

bart wrote:

How about a 1978 750 Honda ?  the catch is it is a 2 speed Hondamatic !  my friend has two or three of them and would part with one , or all probably, they need work but i understand at least one is a runner, something different and unusual though and in Durham area

Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for, an auto is not something that appeals to me at the moment.

Joe

Not surprised really !  how about a 1980 GSX400 ?   i know its a bit smaller cc but a reasonable size motorcycle ... my nephew has one for sale

Can I ask why pre-1986? Is there some reason why it needs to be at least 30 years old? ( There just happens to be a really nice BMW triple for sale on this very website, made in 1987, registered 1988, well equipped, everything works, nothing needs sorting.......shameless plug)

Crusadersports wrote:

Can I ask why pre-1986? Is there some reason why it needs to be at least 30 years old? ( There just happens to be a really nice BMW triple for sale on this very website, made in 1987, registered 1988, well equipped, everything works, nothing needs sorting.......shameless plug)

I have a Classic policy with Carol Nash which is only for bikes 30 year old or over, anything younger and I'd have to change to a Rider policy which would mean a big difference to the premium.

My insurance runs from January each year so even anything declared manufactured in 1987 might not fall under their 30 year rule until 2018 at the time my renewal is due.

Nice looking bike by the way, and would've been something I'd have been interested in if not for the age.

Thanks, Joe.

Joecr wrote:
Crusadersports wrote:

I have a Classic policy with Carol Nash which is only for bikes 30 year old or over, anything younger and I'd have to change to a Rider policy which would mean a big difference to the premium.

My insurance runs from January each year so even anything declared manufactured in 1987 might not fall under their 30 year rule until 2018 at the time my renewal is due.

Nice looking bike by the way, and would've been something I'd have been interested in if not for the age.

Thanks, Joe.

theres an echo in here.

I didn't realise Carol Nash policies were for 30 plus year old machines. I am insured with Footman James, and all my bikes are on the same classic policy, so they must work on a twenty five year old basis.  Good luck with the search.

Crusadersports wrote:

I didn't realise Carol Nash policies were for 30 plus year old machines. I am insured with Footman James, and all my bikes are on the same classic policy, so they must work on a twenty five year old basis.  Good luck with the search.

With a Carole Nash policy  a classic is between 20 and 30 years old, over 30 is vintage

Crusadersports wrote:

It's only the Carol Nash "Classic policy" that's for 30 year old bikes or older, They insure any age bikes but the type of policy changes, as mentioned in my earlier post younger bikes fall under their "Rider policy" but the cost is a lot more.

bart wrote:
Crusadersports wrote:

With a Carole Nash policy  a classic is between 20 and 30 years old, over 30 is vintage

I checked earlier this week with Carol Nash and was told that to add a bike to my "Classic Policy" the bike would have to be over 30 year old, anything else and the policy would have to change to their "Rider policy".

I think I'll check again tomorrow in case the advisor I spoke to was mistaken.

just copied off CN website,   hth

But we also know just how attached riders of classic bikes are to their machines. So much more than just for getting from A to B, classic bikes are a labour of love that show just how big a part of your life biking is. If your bike is between 20 and 30 years old, it will qualify for a classic motorcycle insurance policy through Carole Nash, providing excellent cover at a competitive price.

14 (edited by Joecr 30-09-2016 09:12:22)

I've just pulled this from the Carol Nash website, it appears the advisor I spoke to has given me duff info!

" If your bike is between 20 and 30 years old, it will qualify for a classic motorcycle insurance policy through Carole Nash, providing excellent cover at a competitive price.

Or if your bike is over 30 years old, take a look at our Vintage Bikes policies"

I definately need to call them back to confirm the right info!!!!!!

EDIT - Beat me to it Bart......

UPDATE
I've just been on the phone to CN for a clearer explanation of their policies and this was what i was told.

My current policy is a Vintage policy because my bikes are over 30 year old, in January when it's due for renewal, I can add a bike 1987 or older and still keep the vintage policy and the lower rates. If I wanted to add a bike between 20-30 years old, the bike would be clasified as a classic and qualify for classic rates, but my policy would have to change from a Vintage policy to a Rider policy and the premiums would be higher than the lowest rate Vintage policy. So I think what I was being told is that although they class bikes 20-30 yr old as classics, they don't call the policy they use for them as Classic, but call it a Rider policy? All very confusing..............

UPDATE
I've just been on the phone to CN for a clearer explanation of their policies and this was what i was told.

My current policy is a Vintage policy because my bikes are over 30 year old, in January when it's due for renewal, I can add a bike 1987 or older and still keep the vintage policy and the lower rates. If I wanted to add a bike between 20-30 years old, the bike would be clasified as a classic and qualify for classic rates, but my policy would have to change from a Vintage policy to a Rider policy and the premiums would be higher than the lowest rate Vintage policy. So I think what I was being told is that although they class bikes 20-30 yr old as classics, they don't call the policy they use for them as Classic, but call it a Rider policy? All very confusing..............

You're right to be confused Joe. My understanding of a rider policy is that they are designed for modern motorcycles, not classic or vintage. I had something similar with Norwich Union in the seventies, and from what I remember, they didn't need to know the details or values of any machines ridden. So, Raleigh Wisp or Vincent, it was the same to them. I'm not sure what happened when you had a claim though, as there were no agreed values. I wouldn't like to go this way with anything classic or vintage.

I am with Peter James , agreed value if you require it, breakdown cover for europe and uk, up to 5 classic bikes covered,  possibly more, (5 was most i had insured at one point) and usually good price